Do Less With More Focus

The Fascinated Flamingo


In 2018 I resolve to try and do less new things. Yup. I've officially given up on life.

My life motto is "If not now, then when?" so in 2017 I did the things I've always wanted to do; I lived out my circus obsession by doing an aerial hoop course. I wanted to make a contribution to society and became a volunteer. I wanted to be fitter and stronger so spent 5 months training for a race. I wanted to become more musical so taught myself to play the keyboard and ukulele. And I am so, so happy for finally doing these things and I loved when I spend time on it that there is a change as I get better.

In amongst that, I did new stuff along the way that I didn't plan. I took a 3 month sabbatical and went travelling (where I tried rock climbing, I hiked in the jungle in the middle of the night, I camped in the mountains and did a multi-day trek, I caught a piranha fishing, I snorkelled with sea lions, I went up in a prop plane - and nearly died with motion sickness). I went to pole dance classes, I climbed a couple of mountains and somewhere in between I went on holidays, festivals, concerts, cocktails, afternoon teas, shows, nights out, talks and loads of experiences...oh and spending time with friends and family.

And now, I'm suffering from FOBO - fear of burning out. Big time.

With new pop-ups, immersive experiences, supper clubs, secret concerts, events where photographs are banned (boo) means our FOMO is fuelled to the maximus and it's important to stress that I know I've done some really, truly cool things but...I'm kinda knackered. I think we all are.



While choice of experiences have increased, time hasn't increased exponentially with this because last I checked we haven't successfully created a time machine. So sleep is sacrificed. Credit cards are crying and every day I'm in a constant state of disorganisation. The things you always wanted to do (and be really good at or do a really good job of) - the aerial hoop, the volunteering, the fitness, the music - falls down to the bottom of the pile to make way for the next cool thing I've just got tickets for. Not to mention the other outlets that bring you creativity and intelligence; reading, painting and journalling. I just do not have the time to spend on these meaningfully.

I have adored the spontaneous new experiences but in the pursuit for new experiences, new highs and new moments, the endless cycle of constant replacement of one high to another shows no sign of progress. Going to one experience one week and then another different one the following week doesn't improve me as a person and whilst it is still in my nature to get excited when I see something totally cool and awesome that I've never done before, what I'm resolving to do more of is asking myself if this is the most important thing I should spend my energy on.

So I apologise to friends and family who may have recently suggested going to various events or trying some cool new thing knowing that normally I'm up for the ridiculous but actually getting a pretty non-committal response from me. I've become a flake and it's weird but it's happening and I've started to make my peace with it.

What do you think of this resolution?


Comments