The road to self development


There are a group of people who exist, when they see others posting on social media "new year, new me" and then make fun of them or are moaning because suddenly the gym became full with people starting a fitness regime when they were die hards who have been there at the beginning. To them, I say "FUCK YOU".




People's intentions to be fit or whatever might be short-lived and amount to nothing but could you just imagine if it amounted to something? And when people are on a quest to better themselves and make their intentions public, and I think people surrounding them should support them or shut the fuck up.

I'm on a self development journey at the moment. I haven't reached where I want to be because that's going to take years but in case I don't get round to writing a post about it in 10 years, here's some thoughts I have had along the way.

1. You have to believe that you are worth investing in - I believe sometimes people start this journey from a bad place. That they want a "quick fix"...either to get people to like them or they feel it will help them get over their depression (but not truly believe that they deserve it). So let me say it again: you have to believe that you are worth investing in. Have that over-indulgent sense of entitlement!

2. See everything as a lesson - someone at work gets a promotion, "well they're such a brown-nose, it's no wonder they got it". Um, or how about you look at that person and think "what can I do more of that will help me get the promotion I deserve?". Receive 360 feedback at work in the spirit it was intended and keep looking outwards, stop mulling internally things that have gone, use it as a base for "next time, I'm going to do this".

3. Know the goal - something my girlfriend suggested to me. I completed two exercises: 1. my current view of myself / limiting beliefs I had and 2. what I wanted to become, describing attitudes and scenarios I hoped to embody. It's an evolving piece of work but it helps me frame my thoughts and actions. It's my prompt think about what I say and what I'm spending my time thinking about.

4. Learn your way and be inspired - Listen to podcasts. Search for inspiration on YouTube (DON'T get sucked into watching shit videos online that does nothing to serve you except a short term hit of amusement), watch the TED talks, read the books, read the blogs, follow people worth following on social media. I say, have that healthy tension when you see people living the life you want on Instagram. I don't feel shit when I see it, I think "what do I need to do to get me a piece of that!". Save, focus, positive mental attitude.

5. Have someone hold you to account - I have a few friends who are on a similar journey at the moment. It's good to have someone check in on you or you to feel like you have to tell someone the progress. I actually like the pressure of having to prove I've made progress otherwise you make excuses to yourself and let things slide. Sometimes I just tell them what I'm doing whether they asked or not. Make it real not an imaginary scenario in your head.

Self development is a way of life. It's like going to the gym and exercising (which I suppose is self development...but I'm talking in the mental sense); something you don't always enjoy but you know it's good for you and it'll pay off at some point. Take action now, please stop procrastinating because one of these days you'll look around you and realised everyone was quietly doing their thing and they got to where they wanted and you just dreamed of it.

What self development tips would you suggest?

Comments